🪓 Lionsgate is splitting up its company

PLUS: AI generated James Bond; Yelp reveals the fastest-growing US brands

Together with

Yesterday’s market performance 🏆️ 

S&P 500: +0.87% 📈
Nasdaq: +1.02% 📈
Dow 30: +0.67 📈
Russell 2000: +1.02% 📈

TOP STORY
🎬️ Lionsgate plans to split its film and TV studios and merge them with a SPAC

📸 Idea Wiki

A couple of weeks ago, Lionsgate announced that it had raised $225 million from private investors to facilitate a SPAC merger and launch a new, independent company dedicated exclusively to its film and TV operations.

1️⃣ Special Purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC): A type of shell corporation listed on a stock exchange with the purpose of acquiring a private company to take it public, bypassing traditional initial public offering (IPO) processes.

The newly formed company will be called 'Lionsgate Studios' and operate as a standalone company on the NASDAQ under the badass ticker symbol $LION in early May.

Why's Lionsgate doing this?

  • Lionsgate can focus on what it does best: making good content. 

  • The new standalone company can independently raise money, giving it more flexibility to fund projects and grow.

  • Lionsgate can help increase the value of its film and TV assets, which may be undervalued within the larger Lionsgate conglomerate.

2️⃣ Post-merger, Lionsgate will retain 87.3% of Lionsgate Studios' shares, with Screaming Eagle Acquisition Corp. holding the remaining 12.7%.

Why a SPAC? SPACs typically enable companies to go public quicker & easier (a 2-year deadline) than traditional IPOs, which can be lengthy and complex; a SPAC merger can be completed in just a few months.

Lionsgate likely wanted to get something done as quickly as possible.

📉 Lionsgate ($LGF.B) is down -7.25% this year.

FROM OUR FRIENDS @ BAY AREA TIMES

Visual-based newsletter on business and tech

Bay Area Times is a visual-based newsletter on business and tech, with 250,000+ subscribers.

Sign up with one click.

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
🤖 The AI-generated trailer of Henry Cavill, Margot Robbie goes viral

📸 Snopes

Earlier this week, an AI-generated trailer featuring Henry Cavill as James Bond went viral, quickly racking up over 3.3 million views on YouTube.

The clip was created by KHStudio, a YouTube channel specializing in incredible AI-generated concept trailers. It talks about capitalizing on a niche.

1️⃣ You can watch the full trailer here.

To create the "Bond 26" trailer, KHStudio blended clips from Cavill's past movies with advanced AI to depict him as James Bond in various action sequences alongside Margot Robbie as a Bond girl, a great touch.

But despite the video's obvious flaws and the fact that the channel literally makes fake trailers normally, it was so convincing that many people (like me) still thought it was real.

The takeaway: AI gives us the astonishing ability to create these "what-if" scenarios that are both awesome and frightening.

If it were up to us, Mr. Cavill would make a great James Bond; we don't think you're too old.

And if you do end up playing 007 in the future, I ask that you cast Margot Robbie as well; she’s a GOAT.

RESTAURANTS
📈 Yelp reveals the fastest-growing brands in the United States

📸 Cava

Ever wonder what the fastest-growing brands in America are?

Yelp, which publishes crowdsourced business reviews, based its rankings on data such as net new location openings, consumer interest, and searches.

Here’s the list:

So what are you waiting for? 

Start that business, open that restaurant, write that article, and maybe we’ll see you on the list someday! 

📈 Yelp ($YELP) is up 35.33% in the past year.

Here’s what else you might’ve missed…

The House passes a bill to ban TikTok again.

Seth MacFarlane is creating a "Family Guy" movie.

Craigslist generates over $600M in annual revenue.

Nearly 1 billion people are eligible to vote in India's upcoming election.

Join the conversation

or to participate.